Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Policy on evictions and repossession of domestic dwellings

I listened carefully last night to the big five debate on the Pat Kenny show on  the above issue.
I would assume, even though the question arose in the context of mortgage arrears, that the principles enunciated would not differ when it comes to public housing and that if you cant pay your rent you would get similar treatment to those with private houses.
In brief the leaders position were :

M.Martin;
Increase mortgage interest relief and in no circumstances take the roof from over their heads.

E.Kenny; Guarantee you won’t lose your home.

E.Gilmore; Head off the bailiffs.

G.Adams; No evictions in Ireland.

J.Gormley; Dont take the roof from their heads.

They are all in broad agreement. They all have representatives on the ground.

Well I can tell you from a witness, whose identity she wishes to keep secret, that on the very day of the debate, up to eight men and I think one woman, went to evict a single mother with two small children from her local authority house for non payment of rent in a heritage town in this constituency and not one person from any of the big five parties intervened.
The day was saved by an unlikely Robin Hood, whose identity I know and who is unrelated to the mother in question, by paying the arrears. Well done.

How seriously can we take our leaders?


I can afford just seven posters. One of the few gentlemen who supports me told me that while putting up one of my posters at dusk (the detail on the poster could not be seen) in a town, he was subject to oral abuse from passing cars, mainly young men.

Would you wonder?

No comments:

Post a Comment