Tuesday, March 1, 2011

End of political career

I congratulate Fine Gael  and Sinn Fein on their long sought and deserved victories. I sympathise with the ordinary Fianna Fail members on the whipping their party received.Personally I appreciate the irony of the count being held in Trim GAA Club and of the fact that both my own club in Dunderry and  Ratoath,where I attended  matches yesterday ,have such fine facilities,due it must be said,in no small part to great assistance from the Fianna Fail led Government.
I have had the honour of meeting most of the other “also rans”and have the height of admiration for them.They ,like myself,had the common sense to know that they were fighting an uphill battle and that every  single vote earned takes huge effort by the candidates and huge courage by the voters in face of the established parties spin that a vote to us is a vote wasted
I would like to sincerely thank my family and friends and those who voted for me,particularily the first time voters,and to those who helped me.
In Dunderry Parish,where people know me best,I got 20 per cent of the valid poll and appreciate this ,but realise that no realistic base exists for my further involvement in politics.
My family can rest in the assurance that I will not be running for the presidency and the energies I have left will be for their benefit .
Next blog will be on hurling match in Ratoath and I certainly will have something to say about the  next government,whatever it is,
All this pales by comparison to the unimaginable grief being suffered at the moment by one of ,if not the most,decent families in the Parish,with whom we  all sympathise.

No comments:

Post a Comment