Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Brigids, Erin Go Brath double a cause for joy.

Was at Parnell Park last Sunday to witness two of the three Clubs I played with battle it out for the Senior Football Championship.
To explain,I was involved with Brigids for twenty five years as both player and administrator until 1986 ,when I moved to Dunderry.I played all grades of hurling and football with them up to and including Senior.Medals were scarce those years.The height of my playing achievements with them was to captain the team to the Intermediate Football Championship won in 1980 and to win Intermediate Hurling Championships with them in earlier years.
In my early teens there was no hurling in Brigids so I played with Eoghan Ruadh,which was based around Manor Street in Dublin ,and won an under 16 and a half champoinship with them about 1966.
Eoghan Ruadh no longer exists and have amalgamated with Plunkets.
I was cheering for Brigids and they were deserved victors.In my view by far the best man on the pitch was the pony tailled Brigids number 6 Sean Murray,who cleaned Bernard Brogan .
I am so long gone that many of the players weren't even born when I left,but do know the people of Graham Norton .whose first cousin is Trevor Brennan and Young Mullins ,whose father Terry was a fair footballer.
Maybe it is my imagination but Parnell Park seems smaller than it was in my day.Or maybe the players are just fitter.Certainly space was at a premium and the first half was brutal.The second half was more competitive and after Brigids repelled two goal chances the writing was on the wall for the opposition.The right team won.
After the parting of the ways with Brigids my brothers revived Erin Go Brath which is flowering in Littlepace and they won their way through to the Division 4 Junior Football Final for the first time ever.Cecil is as proud as punch and this is just as important to them as the Senior was to Brigids.
Phil (Junior ) Cahill of this Parish trained this team prior to his current sojourn in Sweden.He would be be entitled to share in the victory and the column wishes him,his partner and son Evan ,the best of luck.
Hope they win the final
As I write this I am listening to sickening auld one called Emer O Kelly belittling full time mothers on the television .What a mouthy old bag.Hope she gets here wish and grows a willy.Auld wans like her ,if they had their way ,would stop recreation as being beneath them.Too late for her now.She will never know the joy of motherhood and clearly has no taste for it.
Fair dues to the the mothers of all the men who gave us such entertainment week in week out.
There is always a Dunderry connection to matters GAA and Sunday was no different.Our physio Roy was running the line for the losers on Sunday.For once I was glad he was with the losing team.
As an ex Ruadh player Sean Og used say ,slan a "Chairde Gael".
Fair dues and congratulations on their second Senior success.I think that this generation of Plunketts players have missed the boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment