Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Two Funerals

Spent some time in  Blanchardstown,from 7.00 p.m.Monday until 3.p.m. Tuesday.Was dropped there by a good neighbour.I would love to be able to go there by public transport.This is not on.Firstly there is no public transport in Dunderry.The nearest is in Trim or Navan.Dunderry people are good about lifts.Those with cars are generally decent enough to stop and carry those without.Good neighbours.
The Navan Dublin service is fine.However the last time I used it there was no bus stop adjacent to Blanch village ,where I wanted to alight.The outcome was that I alighted near to the GAA Club,had to cross the road to get a bus back to Blanch and nearly got killed in the process.You would want the speed of an Olympic athlete to cross the road across from Brigid's.If disabled you have no chance.So public transport is a non runner.
On Monday evening I attended the funeral of Frank Kehilly in the Church in Laurel Lodge. It is over 25 years since I visited that part of the country.Years ago we hunted rabbits in pristine fields where a metropolis now stands.My memory is not clear on whether Bradys or Manlys once owned those lands.There is no doubt but that Frank ,who worked a lifetime in the Land Registry,was the best equipped man ever to  answer this question as it is doubtful if there is alive a person who knew more about land law and registration than Frank.
I had the pleasure to play football with him with Brigid's and in the civil service leagues run by Tom Woulfe many years ago.He was a good footballer,hard,fair and skillful.He was from Newcestown in Cork ,had played with them and I think with Carbury ,which was I think the Divisional team and Cork.He was from a large Cork family and a brother Kevin was selected on a national team of players who never won All Irelands.
The Church was full and the decade of the Rosary was said in Irish in full voice.Great to hear.Members of the victorious Brigid's team against Port Laoise were present in numbers and many old friends were there.
Our sympathies to his wife and family.I understand that he suffered badly in the run up to his death and that it may have been a release to him,but not I am sure to his family,who clearly loved him hugely.Ar Dheis go Raibh a Hanam dilis.
Incidentally a good friend told me that he attends Mass there every Saturday evening and the church is always full to capacity.You would wonder at the objectivity of RTE in matters religious which based a recent programme on the 3% Mass attendance in Finglas ,no more than five miles away.Objectivity me arse.
Afterwards soup,tea and sandwiches and other tasty morsels  were served in St.Brigids GAA Club.I had the great pleasure of meeting another fine Gael ,Donald .the paintmeister from Littlepace,who is the successful trainer of the Erin go Brath  football team,who transported me from the Church to Brigids Clubhouse and had to rush off .This kind man  was Russin in more ways than one,I understand and I wish him luck.
In Brigids I met many friends,Cecil my brother,Fintan,Herbie,Donal,Ballycoolin Tommy,Tipp Tommy,Don,Doyler,Eamonn,The Finn man,Aidan,Mrs Powell,Mattie,the Bear,Mick G.,Tony,Hubie ,Donal eile ,Phil and many more.
Fintan is a brave man and running a good show.The consensus is that the match between Brigids and Portlaoise was one of the best club games ever witnessed.They are hopeful of going the whole way.
The drink driving laws are having a profound effect.No good drinkers go there any more.Reasonable though taxi prices are,money spent on taxis reduces the drinking pot too much for comfort.
I stayed the night with my brother Cecil,three of whose kids have had to emigrate to make a living.There are tens of thousands of families like his,basically heartbroken at the bull spouted by politicians ,who are not fit for purpose ,whose weasel words are as shifting as they are shifty.
I may be misreading the situation but I sense that the disdain held for the politicians is hardening into hatred.And no amount of gobblygook,smartassedness,blaming the other crowd  etc. cuts the mustard any more.
I fear the worst.
This morning I hobbled to Blanch Church for the funeral Mass of Anne O Connor,the mother of Brendan ,who I nicknamed Roscommon,many years age."Rosser " has stuck.His father died when Brendan  was ten years old after coming from a match in Croke Park and his mother made a great job of raising himself and his sister,both very fine people.
The priest made it clear that she suffered much in her latter years but retained an uplifting dignity right to the end,which was based  on her Catholic religion and deep  belief.
These people who belittle deeply  held convictions and beliefs and sneer at religion  should stop to think of the deep pain they cause to people who cling in hope to their religion when all else fails,as it must.Belief in Jesus does not have the surrender of jewellery as a prerequisite for attention.A simply prayer will do.
The funeral was well attended and her obvious loving children were dignified in their profound loss.
Met old friends ,Matt from Offaly,John from Kerry,Joe from Dublin ,Kathleen from Blanch,Matt and Margaret and Davy from Westmeath.

Ar dheis De go raibh a anam freisin.
LIke many other places I know,it appears to me that the buzz has gone out of the place too and before too long the tumbleweeds will be blowing through.I hope I am wrong.
As I finish this article the radio announces that Nulty will vote against the budget.Great to see a man keep his word.Come on the Blanchies.Your grandparents would be delighted.You the man.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment