Friday, June 1, 2012

Unexpected death of Dickin Conway

Word is just filtering through of the unexpected death of one of nature's gentlemen,Dick Conway of the Hill of Faughan.This is a further blow to the wider Conway clan as we had just buried his double first cousin Nell Gough,at whose wake I had met his sister Eileen.
Many older residents of Dunderry will remember Dickin well as he spent much of his youth around the area.He was a fanatical sportsman and I well remember kicking football with him in Jack Conway's field in my youth,.
One of my claims to fame is that I was on the Dublin under 21 football panel in 1971 ,when Dublin played Meath in Drogheda.Meath won in a match where Ken Rennicks gave a master display in a match that included such Dubs as David Hickey on the field,.
Dickin was there ,no doubt to support Ken,but spoke to me also ,a mere sub on the day.I have never forgotten this.
My abiding memory is that he was a good footballer and fielded with Dunderry when my uncle Tommy was over the Club.
Another good and kind  man gone to his eternal rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment