Sunday, August 26, 2012

DUNDERRY DELIVERS ON THE DOUBLE

As I have been predicting anything is possible for this improving and lucky Meath Minor Football Team.In the last outing Stephen Coogan scored a last gasp goal to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat,Today Paddy Kenneally finished to the net the goal that ensured Meath's victory,Not only that but he won a line ball that led to the penalty in which he was intricately involved that resulted in Meath's penultimate goal.To term him an impact sub would be an understatement in terms of his involvement today ,
All in Dunderry are hugely proud of our lads involvement in this team and their exploits to date and will be willing them on in the Final.Dublin or Kerry await.I,d say Dublin,but there are no such things as certainties these days in this grade,
Being a reasonably honest man I cannot let the occasion go without commenting on the standard of refereeing in this game.It was absolutely scandalous.I usually do not comment on how referees do ,but after the comical performance in the Meath /Louth  Leinster Final two years ago ,you would imagine that the GAA would appoint to an All Ureland under 18 semi final a team of officials and a referee who had a passing acquaintance with the rules of the game.
Were I a Mayo man and I am not ,I would say ,we were rode out of the game as wrong decision after wrong decision was made against them in the last ten minutes.
Apologists saying that Mayo were the authors of their own defeat due to missed chances are way off the mark,Missing scorable chances is no excuse for this type of behaviour.It may well be the last time that some of these Mayo players get on the field on such an occasion and will leave a fierce sour taste in the mouth for the rest of their lives.
Were the roles reversed I am sure that many in Meath would have much legitimate comment to make.
In this instance I think that the GAA should apologise to the Mayo players foe what happened.,
This is not to take away from the Dunderry lads ,nor young Sullivan and O Coilean,whose dads I greatly admire nor anyone in the Meath setup.
Despite all the present day coaching and assessment of referees I genuinely have to say that in general over my fifty years involved the men from years ago were far better than their present day brethern and performed on average far better.I genuinely cannot recall such bad perfirmances years ago.It may be that the men then were  more motivated by idealism to the Gaelic game .
As one who was twice floored while refeering in Meath ,once in underage hurling and secondly in Junior Camogie and who never took a penny I make this proposition with some trepidation.

No comments:

Post a Comment