Saturday, December 29, 2012

Lockdown of Dunderry Church

This evening at about 4.30 p.m. we had relatives visiting from Dublin.I decided to bring two of the younger children ,pre teens ,to the Church to visit the crib.To my horror the Church was locked.We made do by visiting the grotto at the side of the Church to say a few prayers.It was bitterly cold.This follows on from the necessity yesterday evening to have the church opened to enable myself and the other people who meet each Friday to partake in the half hour prayer meet.
Living opposite the Church,as I do,I often see people drop in and out at every time of day to talk to God  or offer thanks,or pray for favours or whatever people do there.One man I know often drops in to pray and never forgets to pray for Peter Brady and Tommy Mc Cormack ,men who used transport him all around the County to GAA matches when cars were as scarce as hens teeth.
Now I know that the national media and many political and show business people have jumped on the populist bandwagon of sneering at and belittling Catholicism and all it stands for,but even the atheist ,agnostic and militant feminist movements would surely accord Catholics the right to practice their own religion,free from intimidation and have regard to the sanctity of consecrated Churches.
Not in Dundery though.It seems that a cluster of young teens ,boys and girls,have been caught red handed using the gallery as a den to congregate in and use as a horseplay area away from the public view.They see nothing wrong with this and regard it as a right.I don't know whether their parents know what they are at and whether they approve or otherwise.
The clergy have no option but to close the Church when it is not in use as a result and are afraid to report these people to the authorities for fear of familial reprisal.
They are even afraid to publish the information.
I however am not afraid of these people nor their parents.And if I see them at it again I will name and shame.
Gladly.
If anybody else feels as strongly as I do about this desecration of our Church and feels that it should be open to its flock at all reasonable times feel free to contact me and we will try and arrange a roster to ensure it is occupied at all reasonable times.
I am no religious fanatic but can easily see how decent youngsters can be driven to extremes by the unreasonable behaviour of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment