Monday, December 24, 2012

Santy seen in Blanchardstown/Dunderry

50 years ago when I was 10 , I was on red alert on Christmas Eve trying to see Santy and his sleigh as he delivered the presents.I concentrated so hard that all sounds save the jingle of the bells were frozen out.And then I hears the bells and saw the sleigh and the reindeer as Santy raced them through the sky.
From my bedroom window you could just see him across the roof of the coal shed as he headed over Darby's Hill at the back of our house towards Tonge's house in the Hospital grounds.I am fairly sure that Byrnes ,the Fagans and the Carrs saw him too.And Rosie and Myra Mac Donald saw him too and told Pat and the rest of the kids.
The Russells ,the O Gormans ,Una Deignan ,the Colemans ,the Carrs and all the people on Herbert Road must have seen him too.
And he didn't forget me.I got a Mecanno Set.
I heard his sleigh bells ringing a few hours ago as he circled above the Greyhound.He remembers the way still.Doesn't need a Sat Nav.All the kids in that part of the world are on a winner.He will deliver.
And he knows where the grand kids of all the people mentioned above are living .And will visit them too.
This evening after  Vigil Mass in Dunderry a living crib was outside the Church.Joseph ,Mary and Jesus were there.And there was a donkey.a ewe with an early lamb sucking her mother and two other ewes not yet yeaned.
And loads of Arab robed shepherds.
Where ever they got it,the crib and surrounds were warmed by sods of turf held in a brazer to dispel the cold.Nothing like it.And Amy's proteges sang their hearts out.The Mammy of the choristers Mary Dacy made an appearance.She is on two crutches but I'd say she is already planning the Return of the Choir.Amy mind your back.
Jut as I was coming home I heard the sleigh bells again.Santy n the move again.This time he was stopped above the GAA Pitch reading lists.I.d say he was heading first to the Village and then up the Meadstown Road.No doubt he will head to Lambay in due course.Every house in the Parish.I'd say.
Better get asleep lads.

No comments:

Post a Comment