Saturday, January 12, 2013

Recognition at last. in the Royal County.

Today the phone has been hopping with messages of congratulations from a selection of very discerning GAA men.To explain they were all at the Meath/Louth match in Navan in the O Byrne Cup during the week and were delighted to see my name on the Match Programme as a selector for the Meath Team."No more than you deserve" was the unanimous compliment."Sure you have vast experience of the game at all levels in two counties and as a prophet is never recognised in his own county (Dublin),Meath are right not to repeat the mistake" was the general consensus of the delighted callers."No more astute man in GAA matters "was another recurring theme.
Who am I to disagree?
I must say it is indeed an honour to have secured such a coveted position and I am only delighted to serve.No doubt Sean Kelly,a club man of my own had a major say in the appointment .And there were definitely no leaks from the existing selectors nor the County Board during the selection process.Mick O Dowd and Trevor Giles are the fairest of men.They obviously see the inherent unfairness of having two men out of three from the one Club picking the Team so have balanced the selection process up by having an equal number from each of two clubs steering the ship through the choppy waters impeding the County from an overdue All Ireland success.
I have heard on good authority that O Dowd is a meticulous man in all he does and therefor know that although I was never officially informed of my appointment he was so secretive about it that he was waiting until all background checks as to my ability were completed.Which they obviously now have.
I am awaiting my official notification from the County Secretary and that pass that entitles you to attend all matches in the County free of charge.
'Hon the Royal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment