Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Styler Mac Donagh .A legend.

Monday evening I was passing by the pitch in Dunderry when I saw the  unmistakable image of the Styler going in the gate with his gear under his oxter.It was an overcast evening and I did my task quam cellerime and returned to the pitch to see what match he was referring.
And boy was I glad I did. Dunderry were playing Drumree in an under 12 hurling semi final.
I was totally entranced.The level of skill on display from both teams was incredible .An absolutely enthralling match played out in a hateful drizzle which didn't effect the standard of play at all.
Believe you me we have at least three Christy Rings in the making on this team.Incredible skills and bravery.
Pat Mulligan ,a former Chairman must be bursting with Heavenly  pride at his great grand children and the Lambay corner continues to amaze.
We won.Roll on the final.
And overseeing the whole thing was the Styler.When I was Secretary of the Juveniles he was our ref of choice.Never let us down.And that is a long time ago.And he is still a knight of the whistle.Still refereeing under 12 matches.And doing it well.
More than most he knows that you must be scurrilously fair with children.They will see through you like a light.
Styler is fair.Men like him ,who week in week out referee unglamorous games at the youngest age groups perform an invaluable and vital service for our Association.
We take this for granted .. We shouldn't.
I guess that the Styler is referring for 40 years or more and he is still going strong.
He should be rewarded by the Meath GAA for services rendered.
I hope somebody there reads this article and sets the wheels in motion.

No comments:

Post a Comment