Sunday, June 15, 2014

Communion Day in Rathcairn.

Today my grandson Cormack Mac Donagh made his First Holy Communion in Rathcairn Church as gaeilge.He goes to school in Rathcairn and lives in Lambay with his parents Terry Mac Donagh and his wife Jacinta ,my daughter.
He is a lovely little fella and well reared.He is a wizard on the computer and regards my hesitancy with it with disdain tinged with amusement.
It was a lovely day weather wise and the Church was resplendent and totally packed out.Even after standing room only a sizable number had to stand outside and listen to the ceremony.Me included.My better half got inside and told me that the way that the children presented the gifts to the Priest brought a tear to her eyes such was the care and pride exhibited by them in this their first public Church duty.
I stood outside at an opn window and heard the whole thing as gaeilge.The school choir,the  school orchestra and the organist were outstanding as was the celebrant who spoke a dialect of Irish I could understand.
Cormack looked smashing in a fine suit with shiort and tie and it brought back memories of my own kids Communion day when they were similarly attired.And indeed myself and my brothers,Some things never change thank God.
Afterwards we were treated to light refreshments in the Halla attached to the School and this went down a treat.Then back to Mac Donagh's house where we were again treated to a spread that would do justice to a King.
Alla my children and their spouses and a myriad of others were feated and all fourteen grandchildren were present.Thea bouncy castle and swings were all the rage and a smashing family gathering helped Cormack celebrate his Wonderful day in style.
And he got loads of cards with attachments of the best kind to help celebrate his Communion and his birthday.
Thea anti Catholic vitriol spewed out by the atheist media in this land has not found its way to this Parish nor any others hereabouts Buiochas le Dia.
A huge vote of thnks must go to all concerned especially the teachers ,who helped prepare the children so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment