Monday, February 23, 2015

Presentation Night destroyed by ignorance.

It's twelve years since Dunderry GAA Club had a Dinner Dance in the Darnley Hotel,I am reliably informed.
That night the medals garnered were as winners of the football leagues.
In 2014 we won the Intermediate Hurling Championship.against outside expectations and the Under 21 Hurling Div.2 Championship ,having failed at the final hurdle three years running previously.
Very justifiably we were overjoyed to have landed such important trophies and went to celebrate in the Darnley last Saturday night.
I am proud of the fact that I had two sons on the Intermediate team,Evan,who was captain and his younger brother David who played well throughout the year,.The family connection was strengthened by Davy MC Cormack a full cousin also a vital cog.I am also very proud of my connection to the GAA Club.
So the family was out in full strength for the occasion.
Now the food and service were  grand as we have always have found to be the case in the Darnley over the years and the medal presentations went fine .None of the speeches were overlong and Evan's was over short if anything.
Kevin Dowd deservedly got Club Man of the Year (Hanny Kelly Cup )and as a previous recipient I well know the honour this is.
And the music was the finest,played by a duo led I believe by a  fellow called Fox.
And a stranger to me ,who put me in mind of Crusty the Clown from the Simpsons. hauled many's the lady from the comfort of her armchair onto the dance floor in order to display the excellence of his Tipperary dance technique.
All good clean fun and just what you could expect in any well organised GAA outing.
And before I get to the insult served up in place of the National Anthem at the end of the night I feel that I must place my own cards on the table.
My farther was Welsh,his first language was Welsh and his favourite team game was rugby.He had played it in his youth and revered it,it being the game of the common people in Wales and it still is the game of the people there.
AS long as I can remember he never missed a Wales game in Landstown Road and could sing the Welsh National Anthem word for glorious word..
He never attended a club rugby game in Irelanfd as he saw straight away that it was a game for the elite boarders of the fee paying schools around the country ,unlike the GAA which occupied then and still occupies the same place in Irish society that rugby occupies in Wales.
He encouraged all nine of us to play Gaelic games and was fierce proud of our modest achievements on there fields of play.
I played a small bit of rugby myself at the lowest lo possible level.I found three things pertinent to the came at that level :-
1.The rugby heads were brutal athletes and had  no coordination whatsoever.
2.The worse the player he was the more he talked abut the good game he played.
3.The arrogance of these useless mouthpieces knew no limitation.
I was not impressed.
I do like watching rugby however and admire skill and bravery.
But that abomination "Irelands CAll"from the otherwise excellent Phil Coulter makes my blood boil
I see little point in watching po faced blokes who owe their allergies to the Crown putting on their stony faces when our national Anthem is being played and then bellowing out that abomination to pretend that all is well.
If they chose to be un Irish they should throw their lot in with their motherland and be done with it.
You won't find any other country pandering to those of another loyalty no matter what.
Why should we ?
Anyhow I couldn't believe my ears when the aforementioned group started to bellow out Ireland's Call instead of the National Anthem at the end of the night.
Maybe they are stupid enough to believe that this abomination is the Irish National Anthem ,but they added insult to injury when informed that it wasn't and they persisted in playing it anyhow and thought that this was great gas.
Ignorance is indeed blissful.

No comments:

Post a Comment