Sunday, April 19, 2015

The beautiful Game,Cork and Neddie Hanly

To distract myself from all the grief and bad karma around the Parish  I am just finished watching the National League hurling semi final between Dublin and Cork.
Dublin were far the better team over the hour,were 5 points ahead with 6 minutes to go,looked totally in control but were pick pocketed by Cork,who won by a last minute point.
Bit like Trim's pickpocket ting of Dunderry's footballers last Friday.
Coincidentally both Trim and Cork wear Red as did my former Club St.Brigids of Blanchardstown.
Now Neddie Hanly was my wife's uncle and a proud Templemore man.Himself and my father in law,Tommy Hanly won a number of Senior Football Championships with Templemore in the  1920's or thereabouts and spent a lifetime studying and attending Thurles to witness Tipp's exploits on the hurling fields and had huge experience of Cork hurling.
I well remember going to Thurles with him decades ago to see a game betwen Cork and Tipp.I think.
Tipp were hot favourites and I asked him,after we got in for free ,due to a nod he gave to a gatekeeper he knew,what he thought of the upcoming game.
"Jasus " said he,"those Cork boys are hoors ..You'd never be up to them."Tipp- lost.
Nathing changes.
On a more serious note,both Cork and Dublin are worth a punt for the Football/Hurling All Ireland double.
Finally nothing compares to Hurling well played .

No comments:

Post a Comment