Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Dublin revisited.

In contrast to my earlier life ,when I was in the City almost daily ,I rarely visit Dublin now.
Within this last two weeks I had reason to go there twice and there has been profound changes since 2009 ,when I last visited the home of Molly Malone.
The first thing I noticed is that the indigenous Irish were in a minority in the areas I visited.
All around the ILLAC Centre the overwhelming colour of the populace was black and it was easily discernible from their mode of dress that they they were not of our stock.
The taxi rank I went to to get a taxi across town was entirely manned by black male taxi drivers and the patients in the hospital waiting room  were 90% foreigners.
I know this because of the accents they used when responding to the calls for their turns for treatment.
Many of them were accompanied by companions and the place was like the tower of babel such was the disparity of language,
Now I wouldn't know whether they were EU citizens or otherwise but Paddy and Biddy were in a severe minority.
Reminded  me a bit of Navan Hospital in 2009 when I was a patient there and the standing quest was to find an Irish doctor on the staff.
I had occasions to be in the Dame Street area and much the same story there
Paddy and Biddy a minority in their own city .
Now I dropped my walking stick twice and both times it was immediately picked up by a foreigner and handed to me,so that was grand.
I wonder what the attraction of Dublin is for such a swarm of foreigners and ask the question whether our Government has any real handle on the numbers of foreigners actually living here.
I also wonder whether all these folk are included in the employment/unemployment statistics and what the actual employment /unemployment statistics are for our own citizens .
The second thing I noticed was that between the hours of 8 a.m and 9.a.m.every person either dawdling to work or scurrying there had a cardboard cup of coffee or its equivalent either clinched between their lips or tightly grasped in hand.
No time for breakfast seemingly.
And lastly these rental bikes are all over the gaff and have taken off big time.And I mean all over the gaff..including footpaths and anywhere they shouldn't be as the riders have only marginal regard to pedestrian safety.
And it seems that any civil servant unfortunates enough to have a male appendage has only a 1 in 4 chance of promotion such is the anti man bias in the civil service under this Government and the obvious baleful view of heterosexuality held by easily identifiable politicians.
I  am told that man career civil servants are queuing up to get out and are living in depressing resignation of their certain unjust fate,

No comments:

Post a Comment