Friday, May 6, 2016

Dunderry now Meath Capital of Fir Breaga

This last week the Village of Dunderry has about 6 extra inhabitants who don't move at all and to the uninitiated who believe in the undead are fairly scary.Life size  figures both male and female are tied to assorted uprights and lie on public benches absolutely unmoving.Nearest to me is the Colander girl......the top of her head is a colander.She resides opposite Horans pub door and she is in risk of attack by some boozed up  love hungry bachelor who has a hunger for women and whose eye sight is shot
Being made from straw she might not feel distressed but you never know,
Around the corner near the school a huge jockey is astride a tiny rocking horse and outside Geraghtys a stout straw man faced in plastic like the rubber bandits lies on a bench sleeping off an excess of stout.
Outside the GAA Club an attractive camogie player swings her caman.
I don't know whether those who dreamt up the scary crow competition which will take place during the Fair on Sunday drew inspiration from my Fir Breaga ...the Irish for SCARE CROW.. from my articles in Dunderryderumbeat.com whereby I have described various public figures who broke their word as  scarecrows....false men ....but there is no doubt that the manufacture of these straw beings has caught on hereabouts .
The imaginations of Dunderrians is limitless and I expect a big entry in the competition on Sunday.
As most of the Fir Breaga I have identified over the years are politicians of various hues and as I don't wish to offend people I won't be entering an exhibit but my kids and grandchildren will.
A good day is promised and you should come if ye can.

No comments:

Post a Comment