Monday, December 25, 2017

That says it all really.

I know that those currently running the GAA Club are not long enough hereabouts to appreciate the sort of responsibility they are momentarily in charge of and the traditions they are charged with nurturing and continuing to protect.
Today at Christmas Mass I spoke to a man in his seventies who ,although he does no longer live here has never missed Christmas Mass here since his parents died.He is Dunderry to the backbone and so were his parents.
At 16 he played with the Intermediate Team ,which was the prime football team at the time .His father was still playing.
I asked him had he played with Francie Tuite who I think is the oldest living ex Dunderry footballer.He said he hadn't.I suspect that Tim Coffey might be the next oldest and I asked had he played with him, but Brendan Rogers and Paddy Conway may be older
.He said he was coming on the team at the time Tim and the Major Cregan were in the backs and the Goat Stanley was in goals.
Such was the reputation of these guys throughout the County that every forward line in the County feared them thoroughly.
Our man told me that he himself was afraid to play with these Dunderry legends,even though they were on the same team.
Incidentally I think  I  saw young Pat Conway and a clatter of Dooleys at Mass today.
Home really is where the heart is.
I'm going on the beer tomorrow and will keep ye informed of what is happening.
The same Brendan I mention above is home recovering from  fairly serious opration and we wish him well..

No comments:

Post a Comment