Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Death of Joe Clarke,Dunderry.

Joe Clarke ,renowned Dunderry veterinarian recently died after a very short illness.I  think he was 88 years old.I had great time for Joe as he was a pleasant and decent man and easy to talk to.
Dunderry Gaels have good reason to laud his decency, as for many years prior to the Gaa Club securing and opening the present grounds in 1988, he allowed the Club the use of his field adjacent to the graveyard for the training of teams and the playing of games .
I had the honour of playing on it and I am sure that several generations of hurlers and footballers far better than me honed their skills there .
There was a family connection also as my mother's people the Mc Cormacks availed of his veterinarian services from the time he qualified until he retired.
I often heard them laud his  decency saying that they had to approach him after 50 years looking for a bill for services rendered for all those years.
Fifty quid he asked for and fifty quid he got.
In recent years I asked him was that true .He said it was,remarking that some others were similarly billed but never coughed up.
He farmed and was a horse breeder of renown  for decades past
He was predeceased by his wife a number of years ago and is survived by his son Thomas and daughters Cogie and Blainid and a number of grandchildren,to whom we offer our sympathies.
Ar Dheis De go raibh a hANAM Dilis.
His remains will be received in the Parish Church ,Trim this Thursday evening at 7.00 p.m.with Funeral Mass on Friday at 11.30.a.m.


No comments:

Post a Comment