Monday, April 23, 2018

Death of S.V.Mc Cormack

Seamus,formerly of the Meadstown Road,Dunderry and latterly of Navan has passed away this morning after a long illness bravely endured.
He had made his peace with God and everybody else.
He was one of life's characters and during his 72 years on this earth he made many many people smile and laugh.
He was irrepressible .
To his wife Claire and three children ,Derek,Brian and Niamh and grandchildren ,Nina and Aoife especially we offer our sincere condolences.We also sympathise  with his only brother Pat.
When we were much younger Jimmy and Nan,Seamus's parents, took in my siblings and I when my mother would be in Hospital having the latest baby.Seamus and Patrick were older and were kind to us.
They were fierce interested in racing bikes then and indeed subsequently.I  had never seen one, especially one with a fixed wheel and had no idea how it worked.
In any event they gave me an old one and challenged me to a race up the Meadstown Road past I think WOOD's shop .
Wishing to give a good account of myself I pedalled like the clappers until I came to the finishing line ,when I stopped pedalling and was thrown over thee handlebars and nearly kilt.To this day I don't know whether this was their idea of a joke or not.If it was it was in poor taste.
Our house in Blanch was a pit stop for all Dunderry people,especially our relatives and the Meadstown Mc Cormacks called in many many times when passing through Blanch.
There were nine kids in the house and had my mother notice of arrivals one of us would be dispatched to Shaw's shop -----now Maccarris Chipper---- to get provisions .
But one day they called out of the blue and provisions were low,so the best the Ma could do was to produce a plate of cheese sandwiches,which everybody tucked into bar Pat".Whats wrong Pat "said the Ma."Aunt Peggy I am not very enthusiastic about cheese ".After a very pregnant silence the Ma said "For a ten year old he has a fierce command of the English language ,hasn't he."And so it went.
Much later  ,when Seamus was in his early twenties the Ras Tailteann was going through Blanch on its way to Navan.We were in our back and only kitchen having a cup of tay ,when this vision in Lycra came in the back door breathless and shining with sweat with the bike on his back.
"Jaysus Peggy I am the fuckest man in Ireland ,make us a feed "said Seamus."That's the end of my cycling days"
Seamus had many careers and was never boring.He was prone to exaggeration and could spoof with the best.He always dressed well and could and probably did  sell sand to the Arabs.
Goodbye Cousin.
Ar Dheis De go raibh a hAnam Dilis.
He will be reposing in his residence in Ferndale ,Navan from 5.00 pm to 8.00pm on Thursday 26/4/2018 with the Funeral Mass on Friday 27/4/2018 in St, Mary's  Church ,Navan at 10.00 a.m.
Burial after wards in St.Mary's Cemetery.


No comments:

Post a Comment