Monday, September 16, 2019

Dunderry v Donaghmore/Ashbourne IHC 30/8/2019

This match was played on a grand summers evening in Ratho.
To stay in contention we had to win it,not a foregone conclusion as our form to date was patchy,to say the least.
I  had recently been at Ratho on the way back from Croker,as part of a tour paid for by the GAA for auld Gaels like myself deemed worthy enough to get the treat of the visit.
We were made more than welcome then.

The match was referred by one of the Donoghues from Kiltale.This man and his other siblings have swung the caman at the highest level at both Club and County level ,so they well know what is within the rules and what is not.
And so it went.
He was fair and consistent.
We lined out as follows:-

                                                          Mickey Dowdall.

Fitzie                                                  Feeney                                                   Wright

Bunny                                                 Peanut                                                    Fear na Gcaorach
                                            O laoghaire                      Geordie

Timber Og                                         Lukie                                                     O Seaghda

Alex                                                   Bomber                                                 Timber oG A Do.

There is a footpath about 6 inches up from the surrounding ground and maybe 6 feet across to the fence surrounding the pitch.I  parked at the edge of this path ,with the front of my car facing the pitch.I  used the bonnet of the car to rest my jotter so that I  could annote the various happenings.
We started well with  Bomber shaking the onion bag with a class goal,much to his father's and George's delight.The lead was short lived as nearly immediately afterwards they did the same on us..
They have some fine players
But the returning Lukie was easing into gear and scored a brace of points with ease.They pulled one back.It was shaping up for a good contest.
Then Alex was felled in a tackle and went down for treatment just in front of where I  was standing.A group of about 6 male Donaghmore supporters were standing  beside me and one,at least of that group started to sneer and jeer at Alex ,implying he was faking it.
Alex is a bundle of courage and does not do this sort of stuff.
I  have played hundreds of hurling matches in two counties in my lifetime and the only time I  have heard such knavish and cowardly behaviour was in Ratho that evening.I  made my feelings known to this mob,to little avail.
I don't know them but do know full well that those who involved themselves in this behaviour  know as little about hurling and the ethos of the GAA as my asshole knows about shooting snipe.
The nearest I  have seen in Meath to such behaviour was when I  saw a supposed fully mature Gael sneer at a school boy as he was about to take a sideline puck from about two yards distance.
In quick succession ,Geordie,Donnagh,Jamie and O  Shea split the posts from play,
Jamie then pointed well a long distance free before they pulled back a point.
Bomber took a brace of points ,driving his auld lad into ecstasy .Jamie took a long range free and not to be outdone by Bomber Lukie reeled of two minors from play.Jamie pointed another free and Alex gave the best possible answer to his critics by landing a great goal.
They pulled back a point from play to leave the half time score 2-13 to 1-3 in our favour.
The scoreline flattered us somewhat as Donaghmore had some fine players but not enough.
Lukie and Bomber score the first and second points of the second half before they scored a minor.
They had well shot their bolt and we rattled of score after score via-
Luki 0-1
Peabut 0-1
Lukie1-1
Jamie 0-1
Adam Kelly 0-1
Jamie 0-3.
The final score was Dunderry 3-22.Donaghmore 2-5.
Towards the end of the match one of the Donaghmore forwards went around the pitch ,behind the Referees back, swinging his hurley at every Dunderry player he encountered ,trying to provoke a fight in my opinion.
Anybody my side of the pitch could see it and were stunned.
I
called it for what it was "THUGGERY"and again one at least of the knot of Donaghmore "supporters "praised"this behaviour
.I  got a good sight of this coward.
After the match was over I  turned around to step down from the footpath to get into my car.
This "Wooton Warrior" took this opportunity to shoulder me in the back to try and knock me to the ground  whilst I  was off balance before scudding of between the parked cars in an effort to hide.
I  am 68 years old ,had a severe stroke,have little use of my left arm which I CARRY IN MY POCKET and walk with a pronounced limp.
This Bollix saw all this .
What a supporter to have behind your team.
An all time low.


No comments:

Post a Comment