Thursday, September 3, 2020

John Armstrong Deceased.

 On Tuesday 18th August last John Armstrong shook off this mortal coil.I understand that he was unwell for a while.

By coincidence a photograph of himself,Patsi Coogan and other members of a local showband called the Lumberjacks was in circulation on facebook a short time before his death.

They were all the go around here about 50 years ago and were fairly good.John played guitar and Patsi did vocals.

John was an only child as far as I know and my uncles told me that he was the apple of his mother's eye and that he was sent to piano lessons as a child.,which probably pointed him in the musical directions he subsequently followed.

His father was from either Fermanagh or Tyrone and was a hard working master carpenter  and farmer in Tullaghanstown ,trades which John took up for a period ,before he settled in Dunderry with his wihe Bridget ,who subsequently bore him a daughter Rosemary and two sons Paddy and Ronnie.

I knew them all.

I am told that Paddy was a good juvelnile hurler in his day ,Ronnie I  don't know about.Ronnnie.

This was before I  came to live here.

John drank in Geraghty's whilst he lived here and it was there that I  mostly met him.

He was quick witted .Once when he was thumbing to Navan I  picked him up.Innocently I  asked him what he was at..He took umbrage and after a while he said"I t's like this Daithi.when I 'm not fishing I'm mending my nets".

Unintentionally I  had offended him seemingly.Boy did he put me in my box.

A number of years ago they moved to Navan and rarely appeared hereabouts.

His grandson Kevin  is the spit of him and a decent young  man and hurls with the Club.

To his sons,daughter ,grandchildren ,Kevin and all his friends and relatives we offer our condolonces.

Ar dheis De go raibh a HAnam Dilis

No comments:

Post a Comment