Monday, March 22, 2021

Dundery's involvement in the War of Independence.

 I am reading up on this period in history when I  have time,which is not often.I have much to do in this respect.

Purely by coincidence the preedecessor to the bungalow I  own on the Robinstown Road opposite Horans was used by Sean Boylan Senior,the father of the ex Meath Manager ,to reorganiset he Volunteers (IRA ) in 1917.

I think it was then owned by people called Stephens,who were no relation.

M y uncle Tommy  M c Cormack bought the bungalow in the early 1980's and rebuilt it.He retained one feature of the original building,an inside windowed porch wall beside the front door from that time.

The bungalow is of historic importance therfor and I  intend to mark it with a suitable plaque in time.

Further up the road ,in the same Parish ,but in Robinstown ,there stands to this day ,a closed pub called Chandelers ,which during the War of Independence,was looted and in which the occupants were terrorised .

The looting and such deprivations were raised in the House of Commons at the time and made world wide news.

Maybe a plaque ought to be erected there too.

I am gathering as much information as I  can at the moment and intend to retuern to this subject asap.

The father of my good friend Liam Dalton was arressted by the RIC/Tans/Auxiliries at the time of the raid on Chandelers.His name was Peter and he was clearly active in the movement,although he didn't say much about it afterwards..

No comments:

Post a Comment