Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Dunderry Inter Football clinging to Rim.

Last Saturday was deemed "D Day" for our Inter Footballers and the Management Team as they faced Na Fianna in the group stages in a vital match..I opined it was a "shit or get off the pot" occasion, as I expected the winners to advance and the losers to face a further year in the grade,there being no relegation to Junior this year .Indeed it would be a very sad state of affairs were a proud club like us reliant on a technicality ,like the  absence of relegation this year , to avoid the drop to Junior.
Well we were beaten by a point in a match of high quality where the result was in doubt right up to the end.And believe it or not we are still clinging to the rim of that pot by our fingertips.It has transpired were we to beat Clanna Gael by a sufficient margin in the next match and were both Syddan and Fianna to continue on their winning ways then we could hang in there.It is far from ideal that the future is not solely in our own hands.However the dream still lives.
I missed the match myself,as I suspect did any farmer who was trying to salvage hay in the one window of opportunity that presented itself this year.We had four days of reasonable weather to try and salvage hay for the first time this miserable summer and were clinging to the rim also ,trying to get the stuff baled on Saturday evening before the weather broke that night.My  men were delayed due to technical difficulties with the baler and it was near midnight before they landed instead of the seven o clock start  scheduled and the once fit hay was bailed damp with dew and is heating.I have it under cover and am hoping that it won't heat too much.It is typical of this summer that the worst day for rain and weather is today and it had to be covered were it not to be lost entirely.
I am reminded of the "Cat"and his spake that he was making hay and history in the month of November  and from seven to twelve on Saturday  was seething that I could not do substantial physical work because of the stroke I suffered.Were I able I would have cocked it and gathered up a crew to do it with me.
Even there the Cat would have had an advantage  in the help stakes ,he having  a "double barrel" to my single.
Such is life.
Back to the match itself.I have spoken to several people who were in attendance and have got so  many differing versions as to who played well and who didn't ,that I am not going to say much,except that we were beaten on a scoreline of 0-17 to 1-13.
All say this is a good Fianna team ,so therefor we cannot be too bad.
The starting team was.
                                                 Davy Jennings
Evan Stephens                           John Kelleher                                          Davy Mc Cormack

Damian Clarke                          Darren Fay                                                 Alan Garry

                           Peadar Callaghan            David Callaghan

Simon Carty                               Ivan Mc Cormack                                    Seamus Harte

 Paddy Kenneally                       Keith Callaghan                                       Stephen Coogan

Introduced .Darren Callaghan,Bob Doherty.

This was probably the first time this year that the selectors had a near full deck to deal from so now they know who is fit for the fray and who is not and whose presence boosts team morale and whose does not.
I understand that this was a very tactical game and that our team was placed to counteract their two man full forward line and to curb the threat of Queeney .I hear it worked to the extent that you would not pick him out.However I believe that his brother at midfield was outstanding.Hard to win ,isn't it ?



No comments:

Post a Comment