Friday, December 21, 2012

Deaths of Shane Mc Entee and Paul Earley

Shane Mac Entee died this morning.It is strongly rumoured that he died tragically.I don't know whether this is true or false.I met Shane Mac Entee on a number of occasions.Although I would have no truck with his politics I hugely admired him and his family.He was a g huge GAA man and gave his time unselfishly to the game.He was a nice guy and a great family man.He knew that I had little time for Fine Gael but still called to my door looking for my vote.I never insulted him and am glad I didn't.
I think that Gerry is his brother.Gerry ,as far as I know ,is the Director of Football in St.Brigids ,Blanchardstown,my former club.He is hugely respected there and has steered St.Brigids to the pinnacle of Club Football in Dublin and Ireland.
I saw him,but didn't get a chance to speak to him,in the Brigids Clubhouse two weeks ago when I attended the 80 years celebration of the Club.
When I was incapacitated with a stroke in Navan Hospital three years ago a Mac Entee of an older generation was a ward mate.I think he was Shane's father but am unsure.I was very very sick when those events occurred but my abiding memory of that man is that any farmer who came to visit me went over the the man and shook his hand for past services to the IFA.
He was never short of visitors from his extended and loving family.
He had the gentlest way possible of correcting staff who were not up to the mark.I once heard him remarking to a nurse who put sugar and milk into his prune juice that nursing was really a vocation and not just a job .She got the massage pronto.
Another time a third generation Mac Entee ,whose name escapes me ,relieved a fierce cramp I had in a dead leg on a weekend when no Physio nor similar staff were on duty.
That this most decent and agreeable of men should expire so young is a national tragedy.

Paul Earley was found dead in his house today.He had been sick this while back with cancer.He was a native of Roscommon as far as I know,who lived in Skryne before he moved here to a farm on the Meadstown Road.His wife Trena predeceased him by many years.In his years here he became well known and could hold his own with anybody.
Nobody here even suspected that his death was so imminent and it came as a major shock to all who knew him.He is survived in his immediate family by his son Joe and his daughters Suzanne and Fiona.
He will be reposing in Mc Entaggarts Funeral Home ,Dunsaughlin from 3.00 p.m. Wednesday 26/12/2012,thence  at 6.00 p.m. to arrive at Colmcilles Church,Skryne at 7.00 p.m.
Burial Thursday 27/12/2012 after 11.00 a.m. Mass to Kentstown Cemetery,


To the surviving relatives of Shane and Paul we offer our deepest sympathies,
Ar dheis De go raibh a hAnam dilis.

1 comment:

  1. Sad to report his son Joe also died shortly after Paul ,of cancer also.Terrible family tragedy.

    ReplyDelete