Saturday, May 4, 2013

Brother Devane,a fair man.

As a Dublin culchie in Brunner from 1964 to 1969 I hadn't it easy.Having battled daily against a succession of peer bullies for the first three years I thought I had it bet.But no, ,not just yet.
I lived too far away to go home for lunch due to time constraints and used bring a packed lunch which I ate in the school premise.There were a few like  me in every year.Just me self and two others were from outside the Pale and the remainder were jackeens who lived within the city boundaries but too far away to make it back in time for class.
In my Inter Cert .year the class room we occupied had to be accessed through a room occupied by the Leaving Cert. class.18 year olds against 16 year olds.
One lunch hour while returning from the toilet through the sixth year room a Leaving Cert. pupil who I barely knew grabbed a hurley as I passed by and without provocation or reason lashed me full force across the arse and the back and proceeded to break his heart laughing as did his buddies.O Looney
(not his real name) thought it hilarious.I was in fierce pain and carried a black bruise for many weeks after.
Despite his strength ,weight and age advantages I lost it in an eruption of rage and sowed into him.I was shorter and got him  down where I had the advantage.I was mad with pain and anger and got the upper hand and was administering some of his own medicine when a crowd materialised and cheered us on.Then silence and a hand on my shoulder."O Looney ,leave Stevo alone.""Get up both of ye."O Looney,hold out you two hands ."And he gave him six of the best.On each hand.The tough man cried.I trembled."You Stevo ,out to the corridor."We couldn't be seen.I put one hand out."I was only defending myself "said I ."I know full well you were."O Looney is bullying children these six years and his victims were too terrified to report him" said Kerryman Devane.I'll hit the wall hard with the leather  a dozen times and you roar each time it hits the wall."I'll get your bag and stay home for two days."Swelling should be gone down by then."And it was.
Brother Devane died in Croke Park years after supporting Kerry.Or at least I hope this is how he died.

No comments:

Post a Comment