Friday, October 31, 2014

Dunderry 3-11.Dunboyne/Kiltale 4-2 ,U.18 Championship.

In September 2009 I came home from Hospital in a wheelchair after a stroke that nearly whipped me entirely,barely able to function at all.My family transported me to an under 13 or 14 second division final where our girls played Na Fianna ,I forget where.It was a brilliant match and we won after
a titanic struggle.
Those players had been assembled from the three primary schools in the Parish,Dunderry,KIlbride and Robinstown and Boyerstown a few years previously and were at the vanguard of our efforts to promote and reinvigorate the Club from juvenile level up.
Our Mags, assisted  I think by Evelyn Griffin and Tracey Fitzsimons ran our show.
I was one very happy Chairman and mightily impressed with the performance.The calibre of the players shone through brighter than a lighthouse beacon.
The performance lifted my spirits no end.
Fast forward to last weekend where our debutantes were fixed to play a combination Dunboyne /Kiltale team in Dunderry in the pitch in the afternoon at minor level.
Now both Dunboyne and Kiltale are senior clubs and we are an intermediate club.Population wise there is no comparison.I blinked twice and shook my head at the scenario.unfolding and expected that the best we could hope for was a heroic defeat.
Boy was I wrong.And boy did I have little faith.
Thea competition is nominally fifteen a side.They could field only thirteen.
We had the full compliment plus subs.
It was a bank holiday in Dunderry the same as in Dunboyne and Kiltale.

Dunderry Team.
                                         Anna Byrne

Eimear O Shea                                                         Michelle Daly

Aisling Mc Donagh          Blaithnid Keyes             Eimear Daly
 
                     Anna Stenson     Labaoisa Martyn

Zara Rodgers                      Aoife MInogue               Niamh DAly

Cara Woods                                                             Aoife O Shea.

Subs.
Megan Doherty
Jade Eitzsimons
Ciara Cassidy.

I recognised one Dunboyne player at least,I think she is a daughter of Ciaran and Teresa Clinch and she caused us no end of trouble as it transpired.The apple never falls far from the tree,
WE were entitled,as far as I know to play the full compliment .WE played 13 against 13 to give all an equal chance.Very sporting I thought.
Now Dave Keyes is our trainer and a great one is our Dave.Himself and wife Stella are at the forefront of our development.He has the girls at the top of their game physically and mentally and they fielded in so positive a state of mind that they were prepared to put themselves to the limit of their endurance to achieve victory.
From first whistle to last they never stood back nor pulled up,They put their bodies where danger lurked unpredictably and where brave men might flinch.
And Everyone of them did this ,not only the starring few.And this is badly phrased,because they were all outstanding in the communal cause.
The opposition were brimming with class players too but the work ethic and never say die spirit of our lads,combined with endless qualities of long practised skills were a joy to behold.
By half time we led by 1-9 to 1-0 I think but you would know it would be no cakewalk.And so it transpired,The combination left it all on the field in the second half but we were well up to the mark,running out comfortable winners by six well deserved points.
We have a few hurling genii on our team,but I am not going to name them.Go and see for yourself.
Tracey Fitz and Dave are doing some job with this bunch of sportswomen.
And Pat Gannon is a referee of the highest calibre ,even if he did blow up my granddaughter Aisling for putting her body where you wouldn't put a dumper truck.Terry must be delighted that she is so like mise.
This ream has frightening potential and the magic I saw in this bunch five years ago is undimmed and developing by the week.
I am one proud President.
You will see that three Daly sisters figure on the team.There is another waiting in the wings and she is just as good but a tad young.It may have been that three of my daughters did play on the one team,I don;t remember,but doubt it given their age span.I think Charlies three ,to become four,create history.
And yes he is one of the bog Daly's in exile at Connells Cross.
Now Trace and Dave and crew ,Don't get big heads,ye won nathing yet.Keep it country and for Family,Club and Dunderry .go the whole hog.
C'm on Dunderry.




No comments:

Post a Comment