Sunday, August 9, 2015

A lesson learned,forgotten and relearned.

I have been distracted of late,snowed under with a huge volume of work,as busy as a bee and have not published a blog for ages.
For those who follow my blogs on the adult Dunderry matches,I have a backlog to put up and will start soon.
I have a number of tributes to do for deceased friends both in Dunderry and Blanch in the most bizarre of years and have much to say on the present Government who have done more to reinstate the Landlord system in Ireland than any other administration since Cromwell cleared the three provinces to Connaught and murdered half the population because they were Catholic.
And it is sad to see that the Labour Party shares his hatred of Catholicism and is threatening to attack the right of religious freedom and the fundamental right of Christians to educate their children in schools with a religious ethos.
They and their ilk are more interested in murdering preborn indigenous Irish in the womb so that they can dilute the Christian ethos of our people and reduce our numbers and  replace us with East European stock who regard abortion as a form of birth control  .
Don't get me started.
As the fella said "when I wasn't fishing O I was mending my nets."
And when strangers say to you "I wish to have a conversation about..." it would serve you well to remember that that was the opening line of the serpent when he induced Eve to bite the forbidden fruit and led to man's banishment from the garden of Eden.
Anyhow to the lesson mentioned in the title.
In my middle teens a lifetime ago I worked for a summer break from school with a potato wholesaler as a lorry helper.
My job was to lug bags of spuds onto a lorry from the farmer suppliers and from the lorry back to the storage shed.In addition I had to load them onto the lorry each morning and unload them from the lorry to the customers who were supplied all around the city and county of Dublin.
Hard work but sure I was well able for it.
A new lorry driver joined the firm and I  was put working with him.Seemed to be a nice guy.
Every morning he would be first into work and would have the lorry loaded before I or anybody else arrived in work.
He would do the deal and I did the grunting throwing the spuds off and often bringing them up five flights of stairs.He collected payment and handed it over at day's end.
Nice and all as he was he only lasted a month.
And here is why .
We used deliver to a small supermarket.The owner noticed our driver lifting small items like disposable razors on a regular basis, a matter I never copped nor suspected.These were not worth much but he informed our boss ,who decided to do a count of the number of bags in the store the night before the mornings when the spuds would be loaded.by our man.
Any how it transpired that our man was selling about ten sacks of spuds each and every day and pocketing the money.
The lesson I learned from this is that if a person is dishonest in little things he will more than likely be dishonest in bigger things.
To my discredit I had forgotten this but have relearned it and chastise myself for forgetting it.
Human nature never changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment