Friday, December 2, 2016

Mendin' the Nets.

At the height of the boom in 2008,when Bank staff were on bonuses to hand out a million cash to anyone with over 100,000.00 in the Account no questions asked and were in a bidding war to strike the lowest interest rate,I was driving my banger of a car to a nearby town,when who did I see but a first class tradesman I knew thumbing a lift on the side of the road..
This guy was a talented man with gifted hands and could be earning a fortune had he so desired.Not a word about work though,he preferred to draw the dole and was the greatest living expert on maximizing Social Welfare draw downs that I ever met.
Uniquely talented in this regard and comfortably unemployed.
Chewing the cud on the journey I began to seethe at his misuse of the Welfare code and pointedly asked whether he was applying hi undoubted talents in the workforce.
"It's like this Daithi,when I'm not fishing I'm mending my nets,and I,m not fishing just now."
Game,set and match NOT to me.
He hasn't landed a fish since nor won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment