Sunday, December 25, 2011

The Major Cregan

Nobody in Dunderry nor further afield who met the Major will ever forget him.He was probably the stronghest man from the Parish in living memory and was called the human crush by older men ,from the time he routinely held full grown cattle by the horns to facilitate the testing process.In his football days he played in the backline with Tim Coffey,another retiring violet ,and it took a brave man to attempt to breach the defence.
I knew him well and knew that he became forgetfull in his golden tears.
This morning ,passing by the steps of the Church from Mass,my memory was jolted back to our last earthly encounter,in early summer of 2009,I would say.
Exiting the gate from our house opposit the Church at about seven P.M.I hear "Come here I want ya."Looking up I see the Major in his Sunday best on the steps and answer the call."Where the f... is the Priest and all the people?"
Knowing full well that the Major was in the habit of going to Vigil Mass on Saturday evenings at 7.30,I tell the major that it is Wednesday not Saturday.He argued the toss and  I held my ground ,something that would give pause thirty years prior.
"You are over the football club and a few lads are rearing up" says he."F... them "said I."You would want to call a meeting and give them all a general f...... whether they need it or not"said he.
Not bad advice .
On this Christmas day,here's to you Major.

No comments:

Post a Comment